This week started a 60 day lifestyle challenge through Xtendbarre. Xtend put together a manual describing all of the different levels and options for the challenge. One of the things that the manual suggests everyone do is to start their day with lemon water. Lots of health sites, magazines, and other bloggers suggest that everyone should start their day with lemon water.
If it’s so healthy and everyone should be doing it then why don’t we know much about the benefits? If you were to look up lemon water it will focus on “detoxing” and “flushing out toxins” etc. Is that all though?
I have been starting my day with lemon water for a while now. (I don’t really remember how long.) It has become part of my morning routine. I find it soothing and relaxing, which some mornings is much needed. I drink it warm, not hot. I personally don’t like very hot beverages, but I have read from multiple sources that lemon water is best warm.
Top Benefits of Lemon Water
- Immune Boost: Lemons are rich in Vitamin C and potassium, which are needed to help keep the body running efficiently, and help with immunity and heart health.
- Clear Skin: Vitamin C is a key factor in healthy glowing skin. Vitamin C helps clean out the blood preventing all of the “gunk” from accumulating into the pores. In addition it helps to hydrate skin cells. Anitoxidants found in lemons help protect against free radical damage and solar damage. Score!!
- Combat Stress: Vitamin C helps the body to release stress hormones that can accumulate in the body.
- Weight Loss: Lemons contain pectin. Pectin is a fiber that helps reduce cravings. No a squeeze of lemon will not immediately take away those sugar cravings, but staying hydrated is huge in fighting cravings. Starting the day with a boost of hydration and pectin is a great way to start the day right to help avoid cravings later.
- Freshens Breath: The essential oils in lemons help clean and freshen your mouth. You should still brush your teeth, but adding some lemon in your all throughout the day can help keep your mouth refreshed.
- Diuretic: Diuretics help remove excess water, fluids, and sodium from the body. You may have heard that the more water you drink the less bloated you will look and feel. This is so true. While plain water will help hydrate and flush out the excess the addition of lemon acts like a mild diuretic to really clean out the kidneys and urinary tract. Removing excess fluid and sodium in the body is important to blood pressure as well.
- Respiratory Health: Feeling congested drink some warm lemon water! So many teas and cough drops have lemon added to them so why not just ingest the real deal.
- Promotes Healing: Vitamin C has anti-inflammatory properties which are essential for good health and recovering from stress.
- Digestive Health: The citric acid in lemons helps to stimulate stomach acids and digestion. When digestion is stimulated and healthy, things will move along efficiently, which can lead to some weight loss. At the very least you will feel great and not look as bloated.
Staying hydrated can help the body so much! Fighting weight, cravings (sugar or caffeine), or just looking to give the body an extra healthy boost, drink your water!
I will be posting some flavored water recipes soon!