Eating out can be tricky for even the healthiest of us!!
I try to stick to eating out 1-2 times per week, normally on the weekends. It’s also important to socialize and enjoy life, so sometimes I don’t always stick to my eating out rule.
I just returned from a few days in NYC so I ate out all the time. How can you not enjoy the food there!
Next time you are heading out don’t stress. Be careful about stressing out about food.
Here are some tips for staying healthy while eating out:
- Fresh is best. When you first look at a menu, start with the salad section. When there are options of healthy greens and veggies you can’t go wrong. Make sure any meat is not fried and be careful with the dressing-on the side always. If the salads are lacking, check out the sides. Most of the time there are a few steamed, grilled, or roasted veggies. These are perfect to have before or along with your main course.
- Grilled or steamed. These are the healthiest cooking methods. I often ask if oil or butter can be omitted or reduced. Any sauces should be on the side. Drowning grilled food in a heavy sodium rich sauce will take away from so many of the health benefits.
- Choose protein wisely. If eating meat, stick to grilled fish, steak, or chicken. Vegetarian? If you are unable to find a vegetarian option, ask the waiter to make salads vegetarian or stick to just ordering a few sides.
- Watch the starch. I’m not saying to never eat rice, bread, or potatoes, but be careful. Most restaurants use white carbs.
- Drink before you dine. Have 2 glasses of water 20-30 minutes before eating. This will help keep you fuller and prevent overeating. Be careful to not drink to much during your meal.
- Keep dressing and sauces on the side. I know that I have mentioned this earlier in this post, but it deserves to have its own bullet. If your meal is in need of dressing, go for olive oil, red wine or balsamic vinegar, or my favorite lemon juice.
Heading to a party? Yeah have fun!
It can be really tricky to eat healthy when there are only a few options.
If you are in the situation where a meal is served with no options, immediately think portion control. Following the 80/20 rule means there is room for indulgence now and then. Indulgence is good for you-just not all the time!
Also if able to bring your own dish or side bring it. When all else fails, enjoy a snack before heading out!
It’s OK to indulge every now and then so enjoy your social life!