Pasta! I love you!
I have made this pasta salad over the summer for a few years. The veggies and flavors change every time, but the simplicity and goodness is always there!
What makes this dish great is that it can be prepped and/or assembled at your convenience. Sometimes I make it all on the same day. Other times the veggies are cooked the day before. Others it’s all made a day before and the flavors mix beautifully overnight.
While it can be served warm, it’s just as good cold.
Get creative with the veggies, add beans, add meat do what you want.
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 zucchini or summer squash, cut in quarters
- 2 bell peppers, red, yellow, or a mixture of both, quartered
- 12 ounces of fusilli or penne pasta
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 small red onion,- thinly sliced
- handful chopped fresh basil
- 1-2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into bite size pieces
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cook pasta according to directions and cool.
- Prepare grill for cooking. Brush squash and bell peppers with olive oil and black pepper.Grill until charred on all sides and tender. Transfer to a plate and let cool. Cut into bite size pieces.
- In a serving bowl, toss grilled vegetables with cooled pasta, spinach, tomato, basil, mozzarella, red pepper flakes, vinegar, and a small drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.